Thursday, June 30, 2011

Self Reflection: an Evaluation of why I choose to blog

While I have read my favorite blogs for the last 6 weeks, I have been absent and I haven't written anything new.  I am acutely aware that there are those who are upset by what I write and disagreement turns to easily offense in the social media arena. My blog has a disclaimer and an acknowledgement that what I write is for me and not for everyone.  I do write with that in mind, but I also write with the blog followers in mind.

I started blogging to process my frustration with living in Utah and being surrounded by the LDS religion and not really having an in-group or community to identify with.  Blogging allowed me to say things that I could not say "in polite company" or to voice an opinion and request feedback that was not encouraged in the circles in which I ran.

So, for nearly three years I have written about topics that interest me including religion, alternative medicine, politics, and my family.  I have pushed some buttons and lost some superficial Facebook friends over my writings.  I have asked myself if it is worth stirring up controversy.  I have many friends who are religious or into alternative medicine, or conservative politically who I would hate to intentionally offend.  At the same time, my thoughts on the topics listed are part of my personality.  They are what make up who I am.  Is expressing them really any different that posting my testimony or linking an article to alternative medicine or endorsing the latest Mormon Presidential candidate.  I have come to the conclusion that they are not.

During the last 6 weeks two notable events occurred related to my blogging.  The first was a Facebook message from someone whom I was remotely aware related to some of the things I post. They stated they appreciated what I write and what I post.  It gave them a sense of community in a community that they felt like they were pushed to the fringe and my postings let them know that they were okay.

The second was meeting and working with a young adult person who found me and the theatre company I help run through a posting I had made on a bulletin board.   I broadened my community and the young person theirs in an environment that was safe for idea exchange.  It was a meeting and an experience that might not have occurred if I wasn't active in social media.

I don't suggest that I, by myself, serve an incredibly important purpose in the world and that my little blog is a reflection of that important work.  As a blogger, I do however participate in a community that is bigger than my South Jordan neighborhood.  Blogging has given me more rewards than pain and as a result I will continue to blog about religion (because I think it is harmful to humans)... Alternative Medicine (because I think it is harmful to Humans) and any other topic that I find interesting... because the things that swim in my head are part of my humanity.

7 comments:

  1. In the days since I have learned for myself that the mormon church is, in fact, NOT the one true church, the online community has helped me out so much. I've found answers to questions I didn't know to ask, people with whom I feel very kindredly and would love to meet someday (in a totally non-stalkerish fashion), and a lot of support. I'm glad that you found that sharing your thoughts really does matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ain't mo. It was through blogging and sites like postmo that I discovered I was not alone in my disaffection but that I could speak intelligently to other folks who had similar experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same for me. The benefit from blogging far out weighs the negative stuff, though, at times, I have been overwhelmed with negative comments, emails, and Facebook comments. I take a deep breath,curse a bit,and then remind myself why I blog and who my target audience is.

    I have met numbers of people because of my blog. Meeting them has enriched my life.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can appreciate your comment that as a blogger, you participate in a community much larger than your neighborhood. One of the beautiful things about blogging is that in expands our world and exposes us to people and ideas we might not otherwise encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bruce, I really enjoy what you write. When you take breaks it leaves a hole. I think what you say is important and has the dimension of your past.

    Ahab I concur! I really have enjoyed the blogging community.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this blog already... maybe I am on the right track. I'm just starting mine to express my own frustrations / issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fiscal, blogging has been very therapeutic. It is a delicate dance between gracefully stating your opinions and stepping on toes. I tend to still step on toes.

    ReplyDelete