Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Gracious Old Lady at 114th and Redwood


A couple of days ago I was driving home and I saw a couple of men standing on the side of this home. They were pointing at the home and walking around it is some official capacity and I said to myself, "that house has limited days left." Today I was on my way home and I discovered to my dismay that the old home had come to and end. Alas, a deep sigh, and a moment to pause.

I photographed the home this last spring. I wanted to have a study of if it so I could watercolor it when I got time. I am certainly glad I didn't procrastinate any longer or I would have missed the opportunity.

It did leave me in a nostalgic mood to see the disruption of the dirt where the foundation once stood. How many months did it take to build? How many families did it provide shelter and more importantly a home where dreams were nurtured and realized. How quickly it came down and how quickly it will be forgotten.

.... a moment to pause....

2 comments:

  1. Great reflection! If only homes could tell stories.

    Eddie Izzard has a routine where he talks about the American propensity to tear down its history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Eddie Izzard. He is a smart and funny guy.

    ReplyDelete