Thursday, August 19, 2010

Discussion Group: Indoctrination is it Dangerous ~ What is your experience?



Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology.... It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.[2] As such it is used pejoratively, often in the context of political opinions, theology or religious dogma. ~ Wikipedia

I have noticed in some of my conversations recently how the level of indoctrination a person has experienced and holds on to effects their ability to engage in a discussion that requires critical evaluation.  There seems to be a point where reason turns off and the programming takes over.  Now I know that as an atheist my BS meter is probably set lower and my world view is skewed.

I wasn't always this way.  As a Mormon youth I was guilty of saying some pretty crazy stuff out loud.  Much of if I did not even give a second thought to until I got older and then I had the realization that maybe it wasn't reasonable and that is did not add up.  Even shortly after I got married the little guilt feelings would haunt me.  Not because I was doing anything wrong but because I had this programming.

I have not programmed or indoctrinated my children.  If you know me you might find that hard to believe.  While I openly speak out against religion I encourage them to ask questions to ponder the superstition and to reason through it.  I also believe there is a big difference between education and indoctrination.

So my question is how do you view religious indoctrination.  What has been your experience and do you think it has impaired your ability to look critically at your beliefs?  Do you think it is dangerous to oneself, the country, or our society as a whole?

4 comments:

  1. About 5 years ago,I was sharing at a meeting at my church that I was desiring to navigate a balance in instructing my children about God. I wanted to educate them about my faith, but I did not want to indoctrinate them. One of my friends said in a confused, but firm, voice "What is wrong with indoctrinating them if you know you are right?"

    Heh!

    I know for me, growing up Charasmatic/evangelical, I had very inaccurate views about what people outside our church circles really were like. I remember being taken aback by how "nice" people were at my first job as a teenager.

    I am not sure that it is possible to be completely objective when it comes to one's own views and beliefs.... I think the best we can do is try to acknowledge and examine our biases and try to compensate for them. We tend to think of our own position as balanced, or the default. George Carlin does a great routine about driving in this regard "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, I agree with you here. I just had a prolonged discussion on Facebook. I found myself over the two day conversation asking "why they don't get it." I came to the realization that they filter information differently and there is both a political and religious indoctrination that I am battling against.

    Of course I am right because it is my opinion. I am usually aware of my biases but that does not mean they don't serve me. I am a bit of a snob in that regard though because I fully examined by dogma and let it go. I don't always give others the same credit.

    I have a lot of respect for those who have taken a journey, looked at what they believe and have settled in acknowledging that at least some of it was in error and having made the adjustment continued to approach the world with open and questioning eyes. I do not believe it is a journey that anyone could possibly complete without taking an entire lifetime.

    Idiots and Maniacs abound!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not always sure what the line is between education and indoctrination, but I suppose part of the issue - regardless of that line - is what the content is that is being passed on. In my case, much of what I was taught when I was younger (as I indicated) caused me to be suspicious and feel threatened by people I had never even met.

    I have seen examples, though admittedly more rare, where the religious instruction taught the young to be compassionate and empathetic towards the outcast, alien, and disenfranchised. Where humility and graciousness were the cornerstones of the ethic being passed on.

    I think indoctrination is a failure to make the child/student be aware that there are other legitimate options ... and probably bad content goes hand in hand with such an outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruce posted a video on this same subject today.

    I think the difference between education and indoctrination is expectation as to whether the information is expected to be questioned. As you said, "indoctrination is a failure to make the child/student be aware that there are other legitimate options".

    ReplyDelete