Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What We Do Not Teach

I have not posted in over a month.  I know that is no way to keep a readership nor is it keeping the goals that I set at the beginning of the the year.  I know that you are wondering 'what happened to curmudgeon?'  Okay I know that I am not really weighing on your minds but I like to have my own fantasies.

In January I made a radical change in my life.  I ended my 25 year career with the State of Utah.  I retired 5 years prior.  I was double dipping in a job that really met none of my needs much less contributed to happiness.  After my friends Matt's suicide and some other financial trials I reevaluated my priorities and decided it was time to make a radical change and to live out my remaining 30+ years pursuing life instead of money.  I reentered Salt Lake Community College taking 17 credit hours to complete my Associates Degree in General Studies.  I will graduate in May.  I will return to the University of Utah mid May to work on my bachelors degree in Theatre Performing Arts Design.  Once completed I will follow that up with masters in education.  I can complete half of the M.Ed. while an undergrad.

So the title of this post is "The Things We Do Not Teach."  At the community college I have taken two courses this semester that have been wrapped into the conservative fabric of this state.  The first is Human Biology.  In Human Biology we discussed, as we should, evolution.  I was a bit disturbed by the fact that when it came to discussing Macro Evolution the instructor stated we would be skirting the topic so that those who believed in a higher power would not have that belief challenged.  There is one person in the class who noted the text book is not as sensitive and directly discusses macro evolution.  This is a guy who has made jokes about democrats being parasites in the class when we discussed the immune response system.  He also accepts state offered and paid for assistance in the form of a note taker as provided by IDEA.  A Democrat supplied program. I found it frustrating that we are in a class full of adults and we have to skirt the topic of evolution because, although there is plenty of evidence supporting evolution, it might offend someone's fantasy about a god created earth.  In fact there is more evidence for evolution than there is for a god.  We are adults.  Provide the evidence and the data in an objective matter and let us make the conclusions from that.  If you want to entertain the idea of a god at a collegiate level take philosophy .

The second topic that bothered me was in my Human Sexuality Course.  When we talked about sexual satisfaction and guilt we were told we could not discuss religion in that context.  Now I agree that we should not bash religion in the context because there is some evidence religion contributes to delay of risky sexual habits in teens.  There is also the evidence that practices like teen sex and masturbation are normal natural processes in sexual development and the religious programing can be harmful in the healthy development of adult sexual experiences.  Religion in this case became the 1,000 pound gorilla in the room.  Again, we are adults.  We can handle the truth in an evidence and socially responsible conversation regarding the entire spectrum of the topic of sex and human sexuality.

I have to say as a whole these courses have been exceptional.  I have enjoyed the instructors and their approaches to the topics.  I just think in a higher education institution the truth should be discussed as supported by evidence in classes that demand it.

5 comments:

  1. This is why religous Universities are not really, Universities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My high school biology teacher completely skipped the chapter on evolution. That's what happens when his real job is to coach football and he's also the Mormon bishop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, If I was attending BYU I would expect this kind of behavior. Not a a secular state college. I want a full education that is what I am paying for.

    Leah, I am happy to see in the news, even in the bible belt, that teachers are being called out for that kind of nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it troubling that an institution of higher learning prefers to tiptoe around issues rather than confront them in an intelligent manner. We all have to confront modernity, whether we like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to posting - I missed your posts. It's good that you've decided to make some changes for the betterment of your satisfaction. I had the privilege of circumstance to attend Westminster and I was grateful for the learning environment it provided. Something curious - a large portion of the student body at Westminster is religious (Mormon or other) and yet none of these "issues" about how to handle evolution or sexuality ever arose. I think the instructor, not the students, is uncomfortable with it and is using the mystery offended student as the excuse. Anyways, great to see you post again.

    ReplyDelete