and this one:
A couple of things to note.
- Neither Federal or State tax dollars are spent on abortive services. Let's acknowledge this.
- This letter goes out on the heels of Herbert's ill advised order to defund Planned Parenthood.
- The letter is not good public policy nor does it represent one of the most educated voter bases in the State of Utah. It is grandstanding.
- This is a veiled attack on Planned Parenthood. It is very clear. Even the comments on the Facebook post make it clear his actions and the actions of the South Jordan City Council are not represented of either fact or the majority of its constituents.
- It is heartening to see the number of citizens who not only oppose this policy but are taking the mayor to task over it.
He also makes the claim that the city should be interested in abortion because it is a matter of public safety.
David Alvord, now, wants to stand guard at every woman's vagina to make sure they don't show their own autonomy. He wants to put money toward something that has been legal since before he was born. He indicates, later, that he wants to address legal abortion because every has unintended consequences. That unintended consequence is autonomy. A woman does not need the approval of a man to enjoy sex and to choose when and if she wants to be a mother. The unintended consequence of his refusal to put an AED in his office might be... the death of someone he could really have saved
He says he feels this is a way to directly influence something he has little influence on. This is misguided at best and represents the misogyny so prevalent in South Jordan. If he wants to reduce abortions he should support comprehensive sex education in schools. He should support ready availability of birth control to all of his citizens. He should support STD testing. All of those have been shown to reduce abortions. All of those services are 97% of what Planned Parenthood does. The rest of what they do is paid for by private donations. They are paid for by those who support a woman's right to choose.
He doesn't though. This policy is not about what is effective it is about his next election and imposing his religious world view on everyone he comes into contact with. The city council is complicit and guilty as well. They are sending the wrong message. It is a message that one of the most affluent cities in the state is determined to hold women as property. If she has sex that is non-procreative she will suffer for it. She should suffer for it! Why? Because god said.
And then he thought this was funny. You know in the same way a high school kid quotes lyrics to make is point... out of context.
The City of South Jordan can directly effect good public policy. As I suggested above that is by petitioning the legislature to approve fact based, science supported, comprehensive sex education. It can work with Planned Parenthood to reduce the number of abortions through a sex positive information based program. Instead David Alvord is a the lead of misinformation campaign in the city. The facts escape him. In fact he admits he is ignorant to the facts. Does that stop him? No! Facts have never swayed him. I'll say it again! David Alvord is wrong for South Jordan.
If you want to make your voice on the matter heard... Planned Parenthood is holding a rally on August 25th! Here is the link: