Sunday, October 30, 2011

Existentialism V Infinite Gas Tank

A philosophical theory or approach that emphasizes the existence of the individual person as a free and responsible agent determining their own development through acts of the will


I just filled my tank and I am completely bothered by the anticipation my tank is about to be empty.  It doesn't matter that I just filled it.  I take no delight in knowing I can go another 300 miles instead I am haunted by the fact the tank will soon be empty again.  This obsession leads to changing the display so I don't have to watch the count down.   I do however think about what that tank of gas will do, how far it will get me, and if I drive on the freeway vs. the city streets will the tank take me further.

Metaphorically, that gas tank represents my life.  I have a limited time to experience life.  The rules I abide by are rules I have learned through experience work for me.  They are not rules that will benefit you nor will the same experiences or result in the same conclusion.  There is no universally applied law when it comes to the individual choices we make.  Sure you can drive on the freeway and get better mileage, but if the freeway feels unnerving it may not be worth the sacrifice.

The fuel was provided after the tank was created.  It did not exist in essence before there was a vessel to carry it.  The quality and length of the fuel is determined by the choices I make and when the tank is empty I stop.  While this is not a perfect metaphor I think you can get the picture.

This is why I think religion is damaging and in many cases criminal in the way it expends our energy and asks to delay life as if were were idling.  We have potential for experience and to take roads less traveled to find ourselves and to do it on our terms.  There is a richness in this discovery that will lead to a genuine knowledge of who we are.  We are being asked to delay those experiences or the deny ourselves those experiences for a journey that in all likelihood does not exist.  In fact, in most cases it is so improbable that only elaborate rationalization and delusional thinking, prescribed by religious leaders, can convince us that we should delay our own personal grown in favor of adhering to their experiences. Our reward? ... an eternal tank of gas?  Preposterous!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post like usual my friend.

    Not even their own experiences... The experiences they are invested in making you believe in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kiley,

    I think you make a point. Indeed, they don't have any real experience in the path that they ask you to take. They do have an investment in the path that they have inherited usually by birth into a believing family. They then engage in a dogmatic phone game passing on their interpretation of the path which frequently differs from the person they received it from. It can't help but; because our lives are not really similar to others... We each have a unique experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to that last paragraph. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. It's like religion is asking you to wait until your tank is empty before you hit the throttle. I'd rather drive now, than hope I get another tank tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete