Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Noise!


Is it me?  I have noticed that almost everybody on Facebook is talking but no one is listening.  Few people even take time to acknowledge that anyone else has something to say.  Everybody is talking over each other! I noticed this phenomenon over the last couple of weeks and it has been frustrating.  I follow a few bloggers and really prefer to read their posts on my Google reader.  The comments, in their comment sections, in many cases, result in real conversations (in print anyway).

I realize that Facebook is not the place to maintain real relationships.  It is however a way to meet and reconnect.  In some cases the interactions on either Facebook or in the Blogosphere can result in real human interactions.  For example, this summer I went to dinner with Kiley from We Were Going to be Queens.  I am good friends with Andrew from Hackman's Musings.  One I knew before I was Facebook and blogging friends the other I recently met.  When both a Facebook and real life relationship exists the interaction and empathy is richer.  That does't mean that all Facebook interactions are superficial.  I have several Facebook friends I have good interactions with whom I have never met.

I guess with my current school load I am feeling a bit disconnected from the daily interactions I had grown accustomed to with my peers.  I am feeling a little more isolated and my hourly Facebook fix is not filling the void  (like duh?).

4 comments:

  1. I never got involved with Facebook or Twitter for precisely this reason. It's much easier to express oneself and engage with others through a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahab, I agree expression is easier and in more depth. I don't think I will give up Facebook but it has taken a different meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - Many of the facebook forums have gotten really loud... Everyone talking over one another. I have noticed that if the Facebook group is small, say less than about 100 people conversation is still possible, but some of these huge groups are too hard to keep track of...

    I agree that having met in person, or at least had quality online interactions tends to bring out more empathy. BUT with so many filters in place it is easy to forget common courtesies and manners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think when we engage in a discussion or a conversation that includes a give and take we tend maintain civility. It is when we try win that we ultimately forget there is a person on the other end who has feelings and who is much more complex than the argument.

    ReplyDelete